Friday, December 4, 2015

Abandoned Berlin: Olympic Village


I shot this set during the time in Berlin I was photographing various abandoned sites across Berlin for Urban Outfitters. Unfortunately this set didn't feature on the website so I thought it was about time I posted it here!

The Olympic Village housed athletes during the olympics held in Berlin in 1936.  The beginning of the site is like a museum, with information about the buildings and locked doors that required a guide. There were groups being guided around the village but my friend and I decided to venture around on our own with a map. Towards the back of the site the buildings were very open with large glassless windows which looked more like blocks of flats. We made sure we were unseen and climbed up inside one of the windows. Doors had been bashed in and it was incredibly easy to enter. As we were far away enough from the rest of the village it was very easy to be discrete. There were lots of smaller buildings around and it was very surreal and really had the feeling of being somewhere like Chernobyl.

No comments:

Post a Comment